Welcome everyone to my WWE Money in the Bank PPV Predictions!
This Sunday, the Money in the Bank PPV will be hailing from Saint Louis, Missouri where by the end of the night, we will see a Mr and (for the first time) Mrs Money in the Bank!
For Newcomers to Wrestling:
The “Money In the Bank” (MITB) match is multi-man ladder match. The first person to climb the latter and detach the Money In the Bank briefcase from the carabiner will become Mr (or Mrs) Money in the Bank. Inside the briefcase is a contract that can be cashed in at any time within the year (from when they win MITB) for a championship match.
The superstar with the briefcase must go to the ring (where the 2 superstars (one being the current champion) has probably just been in a match and is exhausted) and hand the briefcase to the referee and thus tell the announcer that they have invoked the MITB contract. As soon as the bell rings, it is cashed in and cannot be reclaimed even in a loss.
Most notable Money In the Bank matches:
- Seth Rollins (Won MITB on June 29th 2014 and cashed in March 29th 2015) cashing in MITB at the Main Event of Wrestlemania 31.
On As the match was on-going when Seth cashed in, it became a Triple Threat match between him, Roman Reigns and the champion Brock Lesnar. Seth pinned Roman to win title. Seth did not need to pin the champion due to Triple Threat Rules.
Seth would hold the title until he had to vacate it after suffering a knee injury that he got at a WWE Live event in Dublin in November of 2015.
Seth commented at the WWE Live event of May 2017 that his career nearly ended in the same building (3 Arena) nearly 2 years ago. Seth along with his partner for the match Finn Bálor avoided the corner which Seth’s injury occurred in a comedic way.
(The Injury that he suffered in Dublin has been posted online by WWE – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcwqSJLNrOE )
- Dean Ambrose (Won MITB on 19th June 2016 and cashed in 50 mins later) at the main event of Money in the Bank PPV last year!
The first match on the card for the PPV last year was Dean Ambrose winning the MITB ladder match and becoming Mr Money in the Bank. Later that night, there was a WWE World Heavyweight Championship match between the champ Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins.
Seth had just won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship from Roman and then minutes later,
Dean Ambrose’s music plays with him clocking Seth with the briefcase before cashing in MITB. Dean used his signature move on Seth (Dirty Deeds) and got the 1-2-3 for the victory and became the new WWE World Heavyweight Championship.
He would hold his title until Backlash PPV (September 11th 2016) where he would lose it to AJ Styles.
Apologies for the quality, this is the best version that I could find on YouTube
Anyway, with that lesson out of the way, here is the predictions for MITB 2017!
- (C) = Champion
- Highlight = Predicted winner
- BOLD = WINNER
Non-Titles Matches (0/2)
Kevin Owens vs AJ Styles vs Baron Corbin vs Sami Zayn vs Dolph Ziggler vs Shinsuke Nakamura in a ladder match for the Men’s Money in the Bank. – PREDICTION: Sami Zayn
- The underdog from the underground has made a big name for himself since the Superstar shakeup and he is really the only person that I believe that deserves the MITB briefcase. There is a lot of great talent that could be elevated, such as AJ Styles or even Dolph Ziggler who could have a chance at the case. There should be some good spots in this involving the ladders and I am really excited for this.
Becky Lynch vs Charlotte Flair vs Natalya vs Tamina vs Carmella in a ladder match for the Women’s Money in the Bank. – PREDICTION: Becky Lynch
- Ever since her loss of the SmackDown Women’s championship, Becky hasn’t been in the spotlight like Naomi or Charlotte has been. And now Lana, out of nowhere is getting a title-shot which I feel is slightly burying Becky. Underdogs for this match would also be Natalya (As she has not held a title since January of 2011 (Source: Cagematch)) or Tamina.
Title Matches (3/3)
Naomi (c) vs Lana for the SmackDown Women’s Championship – PREDICTION: Naomi
- This match popped out of no-where. Instant title shot…Didn’t have to beat her to become Number one contender. I feel that this is going to be a squash match and doesn’t deserve much attention other than Naomi is going to retain. I cannot see Lana winning a title with little to no experience inside the squared circle. A massive swerve on this match would be the return of Rusev to interrupt the match and cost Lana the win, but that is a stretch.
The Usos (c) vs The New Day for the SmackDown Tag Team Championship – PREDICTION: The Usos
- The New Day returns to a title shot against The Usos to claim their Tag Team Championships. At this point, I feel that The New Day has done enough to not win the titles. They do not need to win the titles can elevate The Usos even further than what they are now. I would say very very soon that The New Day will split up and become talent enhancement for the rest of the roster and maybe even a proper title run for Big E which he needs.
Jinder Mahal (c) vs Randy Orton for the WWE Championship – PREDICTION: Jinder Mahal
- The rubber match for the championship sees the Viper taking on Jinder. For all the heat that Jinder is getting, he is a really good championship and I would like to see him keeping the title until around SummerSlam or even Survivor Series but who knows.
And that is the predictions for Money in the Bank 2017! As far as I can see, there is no pre-show matches scheduled but anything could change before Sunday.
I am really excited for MITB especially the Women’s MITB Ladder match as this is one of my favourite PPV’s on the Calendar.