This is an update to the Ghost 4 install guide from March 2021. The instructions are pretty much the same
Yesterday, May 23rd, Ghost released Version 5 to everyone which contains support for new custom premium tiers, multiple newsletters, special offers, detailed audience segmenting, and expanded analytics.
They have also have expanded their 'cards' feature which is embeddable content native within Ghost. They have supports for videos, podcasts, callouts (Which will demonstrated in this post) and even
N /// F /// T's via OpenSea URL's (but that is something that you will probably not see on here)
A full look at the changelog for Ghost 5 can be found here:
So let's install Ghost on Plesk.
- Plesk Obsidian - (I am using 18.0.43)
- Docker extension (This is already preinstalled, but you should check in the 'Extensions' menu to make sure)
- Go to "Docker"
- In the search box, type in "Ghost" and press enter.
- You will see "ghost" with the [OFFICIAL] tag. Click the highlighted arrow and choose the latest version (This may say
5.0.0or similar. Do not choose
- This will download the image and bring you to the next screen.
Configuring Ghost Docker Container! (😨)
- Container Name: Call this whatever you want, ideally something relating to your site. For this example, we're calling this
- Check the box for ✅"Automatic start after system reboot"
- Un-check the box for "Automatic port mapping"
- Manual mapping:
- Manual mapping:
- Volume mapping:
padraig_is_awesomewith your container name from the top of the page!
- Near the bottom of the page, click on "Add Variable"
- In the blank boxes, type
urlin the first box and your URL (eg:
https://padraig.blogin the second box (Make sure this domain is registered, and added to Plesk)
Your screen should look very similar to this:
- Now click "OK" and let it install.
- Go back to "Websites & Domains" and find your site, click on "Docker Proxy Rules"
- Click "Add Rule"
- URL: Leave this alone
- Container: Choose your container
- Port: This should say
2368 -> 32778
- Click "OK"
- Give that a couple of minutes for it to work and you can access your site via
padraig.blogwith your own domain name)
And you should be good to go!
Frequently Asked Questions!
What if I want to run a 2nd or 3rd Ghost blog on Plesk?
Repeat the steps above, the only thing to change are:
- The "Container Name"
- The port, change it from
What if I want it at
- Indicate this in the
urlon the setup page.
- And when you add it in the rule on the "Docker Proxy Rules" page, add
blogwhere it says "URL"
I want to move this to/from a subdomain from/to a naked domain?
- Go into the "Docker Proxy Rules" and remove the rule from here.
- Go into "Docker" on the left-hand side.
- Click on "Settings" beside the container and adjust the
urlin here. This will more than likely restart the container.
- Re-add the "Docker Proxy Rules" to the new subdomain or naked domain.
How do I access the files if I want to import themes or other content?
- Connect via SSH to your server (FTP will not work)
- Navigate to
If there are any other questions, hit me up on Twitter and I will try to help where possible, but as mentioned, I am not an expert. Do not rely on me to resolve your issue. Try StackOverflow, Plesk's forums, Ghost's forums, Google, DuckDuckGo.